Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Millipedes in the garden!



Here is a fine example of why I love homeschooling....opportunities for little ones to learn are literally everywhere! Their brains are are like little sponges and they just love information. They are keen and smart as whips. It's not till we get older that complacency sets in...environmental factors fog our desire for learning. But with children, it's still all pure and bright. Call me sappy, but I'm having a great time learning right alongside with Lola.
Here's a new specimen we learned about today. I snapped a photo of this member of the arthropod family, wandering on our front path, just a few feet from our garden. Other family members include spiders and crustaceans.
Millipedes are really helpful in gardens because they prey on common garden pests. I was really happy to run into one and placed him right back in the garden where he belongs as soon as his photo session was over. I assume he was displaced temporarily because I had just recently transplanted my failing gardenia bush to the backyard.

No comments: