Friday, October 10, 2008

Birch Aquarium and Distar





I felt like I haven't done as much outside the home with the kids as usual so I decided to forego playgroup today and take the girls to the aquarium. They love it there so much. In fact, when I gave Lola a few options of where to go today, she chose the aquarium.
A few of the exhibits were closed, but the girls enjoyed themselves nonetheless. Lola loves to stop and play by the gray whales sculptures. There is a board to the side that has tons of information on them and she loves me to read gray whale facts to her.
We visited the tide pools, where some staff were showing kids a couple of snails. There they are in the box that Elise is crouching by in the first photo. Except Elise did not give a hoot about the snails, she just wanted to dip her hands in the water and maybe even sneak her fingers into her mouth, if she could get out of mommy's line of vision for a quick second!

Later on, when Elise was napping at home, Lola and I did a math lesson and a language arts lesson using the DISTAR. It went a lot better today now that I have seen her teacher doing it in class. It's actually pretty self-explanatory, once you understand the concept, because there is a script to follow. From what I understand, we have as much freedom to stick to the script or not, as we please, but I want to at least start off doing it the same way as Lola is learning it in school. I don't want to confuse her even more! She is doing great, though. I'm not 100% sure about this DISTAR stuff yet, but I need to give it more time for sure.

No comments: