Friday, January 8, 2010

Money Bags

Lola's class has been working on coin value, a subject that Lola has been having some trouble with. It's hard for her to remember the value of the coins and to add them up. I got her this game for Christmas, so we decided to play it today.
Last month, when I was asked by our independent study coordinator to estimate what our focuses were going to be for this month, I knew coin values would be one of them!

The consumer reviews were really good for the game and Lola had a lot of fun with it. It has a feature where you have to assemble a particular monetary amount without potentially being able to use certain coins...for example, you might be asked to assemble $0.50 without the use of quarters. This was really helpful in regards to truly understanding value (as opposed to just memorizing what certain combination of coins add up to).

Sorry, I didn't think to take any pictures while we were playing. I wish I had. Although I have another math idea that I am going to use these coins for and I will take pictures of that.

No comments: